There are many Codename One resources for building native mobile apps but they are often all over the place,
in this blog post I’ll try to concentrate the best resources for people who already know Java and are looking to pick
up Codename One. If you don’t know Java yet please check out
this post where we discuss resources for beginners
Written Docs and Tutorials
- Create an Uber Clone in 7 Days – Even if you don’t purchase the full book the free chapters available to download will help you get started quickly.
- Developer Guide – if you haven’t read the developer guide you should!
Notice that it also comes in PDF form…
- JavaDocs – our JavaDocs include some hidden features such as the
component gallery &
- Sviluppare app multipiattaforma – Indice del corso introduttivo – Italian language free course for mobile cross-platform development by Francesco Galgani
- Port an Android app to iOS (iPhone) – a step by step
guide on porting a real world Android app to Codename One and getting it onto all the major stores.
- Chat App Tutorial – this six part series covered
many ideas in Codename One including social login (Facebook, Google) IM style interface etc.
- Using the new GUI Builder – this tutorial starts by reviewing the differences
between the old and the new GUI builder followed by a review of building a simple app
- Working with native maps – using Google Maps in your app
- PSD to App Revisited – this is a remake of a great video tutorial from Steve Hanna
(see below) where he covered the process of taking a Photoshop PSD design and making the app look like the PSD.
The results are stunning.
- Integrating 3rd party native SDK’s – this is one of our most
ambitious tutorials it included 3 parts. Part 1,
part 2 & part 3.
- Websocket Support – this tutorial covers the cn1lib
- Create a Gorgeous Sidemenu – 5 minute video & text tutorial on the creation of a good looking side navigation interface
- Introduction to In-App Purchase – this is a part of a series on in-app-purchase covering also Non-Renewable Subscriptions & Auto-Renewing Subscriptions
Connecting to a MySQL Database from Codename One – includes two versions the second uses Java on the server side while the first uses a PHP backend and is arguably simpler to setup on the server for some cases
- Using Icon Fonts Such as Fontello – In this tutorial we review
icon font usage in Codename One. These are very useful for resolution independent images.
- Avoiding Lists – A common question is how to use a “List” in Codename One. In this
tutorial we explain why lists in Codename One are problematic and the strategies you can use to create a list
- Understanding the Table Component – this tutorial is pretty
- Understanding device density – in a tutorial written for “back to the future day”
Steve covers the nuances of device densities.
- CSS Support – in this tutorial Steve talks about the CSS support he built for Codename One. There is also a followup article on new CSS capabilities
- Dynamic Autocomplete – in this tutorial we discuss the usage of an
auto-complete text field and how we can use a webservice to provide suggestions to users
- Local notifications on iOS & Android – covered the support for firing local
notifications when the app is in the background
- Deploy the same app multiple times – in this
short tutorial we cover the process of making an app template that you can redeploy e.g. to sell similar apps to
multiple customers or build a demo/release version
- Building Cloud-powered Native Mobile Apps with Parse.com –
while parse was discontinues parse4cn1 is still going strong with 3rd party parse alternatives
- Shrinking sizes & optimizing – how to reduce your application size
- Automating releases – this post covers the enterprise grade continuous
- JQuery style selectors – use selectors to manipulate specific components
- Setup a Codename One Project from Git – covers the process of converting a git project to a local project
There are many other tutorials too many to list, you can see some of them in the tutorial tag
and that is still a partial list as it doesn’t cover the older posts from before the site migration.
Videos & Online Courses
Notice that we have shifted most of our effort to the Codename One Academy. Some of the older videos below might be out of date but the Academy is current and constantly updated:
- Codename One Academy – contains both free and premium courses covering almost everything there is to know in Codename One and the tools to build full featured apps. The academy is updated on a regular basis with additional material and apps see our launch announcement for details on that.
- Hello world video tutorial – video covering the steps of building/running a Codename One app
- Todo Video Tutorial – Covers Codename One basics by walking you through the basics of building a simple Todo app
- What is Codename One – a thorough walkthrough of Codename One underpinnings, it’s history and how it differs from other approaches to cross platform
- Learn mobile programming by example –
this course walks you thru the source code of the Property Cross & Dr. Sbaitso demos.
- Build mobile iOS apps in Java –
walks thru the creation of a client/server image sharing app. It covers the creation of a webservice connection
to a Java webserver, file upload, camera and many other details.
- How Do I – this is a large collection of short videos covering everything from layouts to
webservices etc. Some aren’t as fresh as the others but the list is pretty comprehensive.
- How to use the Codename One Sources – as the name
suggests this tutorial gets you started with running a Codename One app compiled against the Codename One
sources from git
- PSD to APP – the original
tutorial from Steve took the form of a video webcast. We later updated it in text form but things such as
photoshop might be easier to understand in a video
- Cordova/PhoneGap compatibility – this isn’t
just a video but it covers a lot of the ideas behind the cordova support we added to Codename One a while back
- Debug a Codename One app on an Android Device –
this is technically a How Do I? video but it’s a really good one so it’s listed here
- Codename One Webinar – Steve did a couple of Codename One webinars
the second one here. Those were both very interesting and
covered multiple different topics
- Dr. Sbaitso & Property Cross –
this is effectively the same content as the “by example” course above but on youtube
- LTS Talk – a talk I gave to LTS over cross mobile device programming
- JavaZone 2013 talk – a lecture covering the basic principals of Codename One
- Lecture from Mateja Opacic – Mateja gave a lecture
at the Coding Serbia Conference and discussed Codename One
We hope to produce more content as we move forward both to replace older/outdated content and to provide more
“ready made” starting points. Our property cross and chat tutorials were very successful mostly because they represent
real world types of applications developers want unlike the kitchen sink which is abstract.
These tutorials require a lot of time & effort so we don’t get to do as many as we might want. If you have thoughts
or wishlists for tutorials we’d be happy to hear about them. Also if you have your own tutorial somewhere feel
free to post a link in the comment, as long as it’s relevant we’ll approve it thru moderation and maybe add it to the post.